Thursday, July 12, 2007

She Cooks Too

We reached a record high of 98 yesterday and the heat was the only thing anybody could talk about. But I thought it was kind of fun to have a real hot summer day. It was only one. Today we are back to the 70's, maybe a high of 80.

Dinner was alfresco on the back patio. And I made something so simple but so delicious - Kitchen Sink Bread Salad. It's basically all the leftovers in the fridge tossed in a bowl. Since there is no real recipe, I won't even try to give portions, but this is the basics: take a large bowl and throw in whatever vegetables you've got. I had a couple ears of corn, sliced off the cob, a can of artichoke chunks, a can of white beans, a half of a tomato, a handful of pitted olives. I hadn't wanted to cook at all, but decided that I really wanted some carmelized onions, so I used up the last half of red onion and softened them in olive oil and a couple of cloves of garlic, tossed in at the end just to cook for a minute. The bread was the last chunk of chewy Italian loaf, cut into cubes. A piece of feta cheese crumbled in. The dressing was a balsamic vinaigrette, and I plucked a big bunch of basil from the yard and chopped that in last. Toss the whole thing so it's well mixed and the bread has soaked up a bit of dressing. Use more if it seems dry.

Tastiest cool dinner for summer! And I've got a little left for lunch today too. Heh, leftovers of leftovers, but I'm looking forward to it.

I've got more technology problems today too. My wireless internet connection is in total failure, so I'm borrowing a computer today. And my printer, which has been more than finnicky lately, is on strike this morning. I don't understand why my machinery is always acting up and behaving badly. I'm putting off even thinking about it until next week. So the internets stuff may be a little spotty for the next few days. Let those machines just sit and pout by themselves for awhile until they decide to play again - that will teach them. Or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment