Tuesday, October 02, 2007

The necessity of rest

Just a few quotes about rest today. They have been shamelessy "borrowed" from a recent Oprah magazine. At the time, I guess I thought they had some kind of meaningful purpose or whatever, so I clipped it out and added it to the large pile of stuff to look through later when I had more time.

Well, I never have more time. So this morning, in between tasks that are heating or cooling or waiting for next steps, I decided to tackle that one last pile on the floor of my office. I'm ruthlessly tossing stuff that I will never do, things that don't matter, pages ripped from somewhere that I don't even remember why, and little handwritten notes that I can't even read now and have no idea what I was thinking.

But these little quote-lets sort of go with my theme as of late, so I decided to toss them gently at the wall of my blog and see if they stick.

"The mind that comes to rest is tended
in ways that it cannot intend:
is borne, preserved, and comprehended . . . "

Wendell Berry
_____________

"What is this life if, full of care,
we have no time to stand and stare?"

W.H. Davies
_____________

"This wasted time I have found by constant
experience to be as indispensable as sleep."

John Adams
_____________

"It is in his pleasure that a man really lives;
it is from his leisure that he constructs the
true fabric of self."

Agnes Repplier

No comments:

Post a Comment