Monday, October 15, 2007

Green Day

It's Blog Action Day today. Which is a cool idea -- "What would happen if every blog published posts discussing the same issue, on the same day? One issue. One day. Thousands of voices."

There are at least 15 million registered blogs posting messages about the environment in one form or another today, hoping to reach over 12 million blog readers, and its probably gone much higher than that. Me, for instance. I just saw it this morning, didn't register, and am late to the game today. It's a truly interesting idea, and I'm hoping to get a little time this evening to cruise around and see what came out of it, after a too-busy day weighted down by minutia.

I did a little cheerleading for green on Friday, but I just want to say out loud that I have been so in lurve with the weather here the last few days. They've been those perfect fall days that start out with sunrises like these - dark purples, a million shades of gold and orange and pink, the black shadows of the trees and mountains framing it all so perfectly in the quiet and solitude of early morning. Or foggy mornings that give way to crystal clear blue skies which offset the jaw-dropping reds, burgundies, golds and oranges of the leaves, which are in full color here right now. I have a couple more photos from the weekend, which won't load right now (blogger problems) but I'll add in as soon as I can.

It's heartbreaking to hear about all the crazy October heat in Chicago, or the doom of drought in the Southeast, the never-ending record breaking somethings that haven't happened for a bazillion years almost every day in the morning weather report. I think it's imperative that we do everthing and anything in our power to be responsible for the consequences we have created out of our collective actions and lifestyle choices. To say that having a blingier car, a greener lawn, a bigger yacht, is more important than the future of the planet is impossible to imagine. Or that someone else should do it because I'm too busy over here working all my electronics, driving my Hummer, leaving on every light in my McMansion so I don't get lost from room to room. It's pretty easy to just cut back, make a few obvious choices and just generally get on board.

I still have dreams of retiring on the beach somewhere. I just don't want it to be in Montana, or Kansas.

No comments:

Post a Comment