Friday, March 09, 2007

Shtooodio

I've been becoming more and more frustrated with my office space, which shall now be named "the dungeon" because it's dark and stupid, stuffed to the gills in the little basement we have. After seeing these lovely studio photos this morning, I was even more bummed. So I trudged upstairs to announce that at the very least, I needed a clean up, new paint, new cabinets, new carpet and re-wired electrical so I can have some actual light sources. Probably not the darling chandelier in this airy, gorgous, sugary sweet place. But something.

And I was also heading upstairs to retrieve the order that wasn't on my desk. Yesterday late afternoon, as I was stirring up a batch of soap, the phone rang. A lovely woman who was brand new to me and had not ordered from me in the past. And as I was copiously writing all the detailed information on the scrap paper I keep next to the phone for such emergencies, another call came in. I'm not the flustering type. But what are the chances that I get two phone orders at the exact same time right while I am at a sort of critical point in the soap process? Well, to be fair, it wasn't critical at the time I answered, or I would have let the machine get it. But I guess I was assuming it was going to be some short little thing, or family member who I could just call back.

And then it got more complicated. The problem arose when the second call was a bit more confusing. I couldn't just jot down stuff, I had to head to the office, calculate, communicate and stuff. This is all edge-of-the-seat excitement, I'm sure.
Anyway, no worries, the soap was just fine. In fact the extra time in the pot probably helped, because it was at a really nice super thick trace by the time I got back, perfect.

The point being, that I thought I had both orders in my hand when I ran down to the office. This morning I could only find one. So I figured the other one was still upstairs somewhere. I have now torn apart my office and every file about 3 times. I've emptied and sorted the recycling in the office and kitchen at least 4 times. I searched under tables, desks, rugs. When the panic really began to set in, I decided to shower and come back to it. I had a couple more ideas of where it could have gotten stuck to mail and filed. Nope. Then I started again -- headed back to the cabinet where I did the writing. Brainstorm, I had my recipe notebook open there last night. And sure enough, it was stuck in the pages of my binder. Whew! In all the years of doing this, I have NEVER, ever lost an order. I'm so glad that wasn't the first, though someday, the very law of averages dictates that I will have to deal with that, I think.

The upshot to all this rambling is that now I am even more disgusted with the piles and mess in this office. I am on a mission today to get it in order. And figure out a real plan for re-doing this place so it makes me happy and and efficient. The end.

Oh, Einstein, I am not.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4:14 PM

    I would have guessed that the list landed in the soap!

    ReplyDelete