Friday, September 22, 2006

News Bites

In the midst of all the hustle and bustle the last couple of weeks, some other things have been happening. Some quick updates about stuff:

1. Allied Arts of Whatcom Country sponsors the Holiday Festival of the Arts each year. It's a gallery style show that they put on in some sort of unleased business space -- ususally runs mid-November through Christmas eve. And I've participated in it for at least 9 years I think. Seems like I joined this show my first year in business and it's been wildly successful for me, even though the driving back and forth to Bellingham each week in the middle of my busiest show season is wildly insane. I love this show. However this year, the organization hit some rough spots. The very heart of the show, Judy Taylor, who organizes it, runs it, keeps all the books impeccably accurate, and is our rock -- quit. Then the director left a month ago and one of the board members is acting as interim director. And they've had a dickens of a time getting a new location this year - after we lost our space of a few years in a row. So with less than two months to go, when we are usually beginning to advertise and build up excitement, it looked lost. But the great news? Judy is BACK! She has rejoined the staff to get the train back on track and keep all us lost little hens together again this year. And they've (almost) got a space completed. I guess the ink is not quite dry on the contract, but pending something crazy, it will be in the old Penney's building in downtown Bellingham, on Cornwall street, about a block away from the office. A huge space that should be fabulous for us. Plus they are working on a theme this year -- Post War 1945. Don't know what that will mean exactly, but Kate Clark, the interim director has all kinds of other ideas too, for decorating, new promotions and other merchants on the street. So it might just be a banner year, after all.

2. The Starving Housewives, Cindy and Cameron, have had a little change in plans for their shows. This past year, they had added shows to the schedule with big ambitious plans. But it didn't work out, and they have, in fact, cancelled some of their previously scheduled shows. It doesn't affect my own schedule this year -- there will still be an October show at the Bothell Union Hall, there will also still be the big holiday show at Echo Falls Country Club in November, and Cameron's Hilltop Holiday show in Bellevue at the Northwest Arts Center during December is definitely still happening -- part of the City of Bellevue's holiday event schedule. What is missing is their December Last Chance show, and next year the two spring shows in March and May will not be scheduled. Anyway, they are excited and energized for the next three shows and looking forward to a big season.

3. I mentioned that I had sold out of some things yesterday, and I just wanted to clarify. There are only a few things that may/may not be available if your place an order. The only things in question are soap bars, because all the other products can be made instantly (or at least within a couple of days). Just for the record, soap needs to cure for 6-8 weeks before I sell it. It's actually safe for use at 2 weeks and good to go at 4 weeks, but it's still just a tad softer than I like, so in the best of circumstances I like to wait a few more weeks before I let it go. So I'm busily making batches this month, and trying to get a nice supply built up for the busiest months of November and December. At the same time, I'm transitioning a few "flavors" that I want to add later this year and early next year, while phasing out a couple too. It's harder than I thought. Because just when I've made a firm decision that yep, this one is really gone, there is some huge request or heartfelt plea for that particular one. Argh. The best example -- the Anise soap. I don't often take it to shows, because I never sell more than a couple of bars and my table space is at a premium, so the more popular scents get to travel. I've left it on the list, because a few folks truly love it, and they can order it online or by mail, and the two shops almost always order it too. But now at the Fair, I was told that the soap gal from last year displayed it and the fishermen around there went crazy for it. So I packed up the whole kit and caboodle, trundled it over and wouldn't you know it? It disappeared like a baker's dozen of scones. Which means that I'm sold out of it right now.

I'm not making more Anise soap right away. It's not a holiday soap, and I'm still deciding if I want to take up time and space by having it sitting on the shelf all year, or just make custom batches upon request, and of course, having it at the Fair next year. So it's just plain out of stock until further notice, or I can think straight.

The Baby Love also is down to the last few bars, and is at the same place. I'm in the same muddled, confused spot. It's not that popular, although for the few folks that prefer that scent, it's unthinkable that it may be gone. I hate to disappoint people, but I need to make some tough decisions. And while the scent is pretty, I've never liked how the color turns out -- the "baby" part turning the bar a tan color instead of the light, pretty pink that I want.

Sacred Smoke. Ditto. Favorite scent for a small but loyal group. But I want to replace it with something more universally loved. I can only do so many. It's just little old me here, and I've got a matchbook sized studio. I can't carry 30 kinds of soap, one for everybody. It's not about to run out this week, but order before the end of the year because it probably won't be around when the new list comes out.

Citrus Basil Scrub is on the runway too. I'm going to revamp the scent and change things up. So when it's gone, it's gone. I still have some left, but it's more of a summer soap, and I don't bring it to fall and winter shows unless requested. So it's available for order, for now. But won't continue next year.

Is all that clear as mud? Can't talk about the new stuff today. Have a great weekend -- it's supposed to be the perfect warm, fall weather. Leaf peeping. Gardening clean up. Last couple of days of the Fair with a free Beach Boys concert. Final day up at Lord Hill on Saturday, perfect for a day in Snohomish, antique hunting and lunching.

No comments:

Post a Comment