Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Crush Part 2

Lordy - I had a record breaking number of hits yesterday on my post about the Crush scammers. I guess it's a huge deal. I looked into it a bit more and it's worldwide. Australia, Canada, England, and more are all suffering from this mess. No, I don't know how it got started. Apparently you can get duped into signing up for it by doing some little online quiz to find your soul mate. If you don't read the fine print, you get suckered into agreeing to their service. But I did not do this, believe me. It came out of the blue. And I'm not the only one. Some of the folks were bemoaning that their teenage daughters got hoodwinked, but most people were caught off guard, like me.

And there doesn't seem to be any easy way to stop it. The web sites don't have information on how to contact them. Some do, but following their instructions to stop is futile. It never happens. You are supposed to be able to send a "STOP" text message to some short code thingie. Maybe I'm not technologically advanced enough, but my phone would not recognize any of those short codes and just returned the messages. This is all new to me.

This morning I actually got a phone call from an 800 number. I didn't answer it because I didn't recognize the number and wasn't expecting anything. But I googled it, and of course a whole list of complaints about that crush crap came up - it's just another twist to the same scam. So now they are actually dialing me, which is annoying beyond belief. But I don't have to answer it, which means I don't have to pay for it. For the people who can't block all emails because they actually need that service, it must be pure hell.

For everyone who's stopping by for answers: I don't know what it is. I don't know how it happened. I don't know how to make it stop. I'm sorry to be no help. I'm just another sufferer.

Ok new topic - I'm done with this. Oh wait, I don't have another topic. I've spent all my time the last few days totally wasted on some idiotic scammers and the backlash. Guess I'll just give it a rest and try to get some real work done today. There's a SHOW this weekend, a great big beautiful show of fabulous artists.

Make plans to see Best of the Northwest this weekend, or Friday night after work, we're open late until 8pm on Friday.

No comments: