Saturday, August 24, 2013

Made in America

Each seasonal newsletter, I use a different postage stamp for those who are getting it via snail mail.

Yes, it's totally old school. I put little address labels on envelopes by hand. And stick little postage stamps on each envelope by hand. And then stuff and glue them all up. Again, by myself. By hand.

Which is why I'd love to have more people transfer over to the electronic version. So much easier to just hit "send" and everyone gets it immediately. No loss of trees either.  But I get it - it's nice to have a little something new in your real mail box -- that's not bills. And to have something in your hand to read. Plus a paper calendar thingie that you can stick on your fridge to remind you of the show you want to catch me at. All that is valid. Just saying . . if you want to transfer over to email instead, click here. Fill out the form and request email only instead of snail mail or both.

The email version is the same as the snail mail one as far as content. I even include the images, poems and calendar. You don't miss a thing :)

However . . . that was a side-track. What I meant to post about today was the actual postage stamps. This time around, for the fall newsletter going out in a couple of weeks, there was a pretty lame selection of postage stamps to choose from. I like to pick colors that work with the season, or themes - obviously holiday.

This time I thought about doing those super sweet seed packets from the last mailing. But after all these years I've never repeated a stamp and it seemed wrong to start now. Plus the seed packet time is totally over for fall, so it didn't work anyway.

Here's what we got then, "Made in America: Building A Nation."

The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes,” social activist Helen Keller wrote in 1908, “but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker.” The Made in America: Building a Nation Forever® stamps honor the courageous workers who helped build our country.

The theme is great.  It fits with my whole thing. And I'm making all this stuff in America, by Jove. Course it's not quite the industrial manufacturing that are depicted in these images. It's a little softer, cozier and quaint in my factory.

Plus, black and white goes along just fine with a fall color palette and the brown envelopes. So that's it then. Now I just need to get started with all that 'licking and sticking.' Gross, right? Just so you know, I don't lick the envelopes. I use a glue stick. Way faster and a lot less paper cuts.

Also, as long as I'm discussing all my old-schooliness . . . I know that it's proper typing etiquette to only put one space after a period. But I learned to type on actual typewriters and we had to use two spaces.  HAD TO use two spaces after period. It's really hard to unlearn the auto-pilot muscle mechanics. And half the time I have to go back and un-space almost an entire post after I've written it. Because the spacing comes out weird in the final version, and often doesn't wind around the paragraph or inserted image correctly.

So yes.  Basically I'm still a lot of old-school myself.  Because I'm getting old. And I totally get why people want to receive my letters in the actual mail by mail carriers in their blue uniforms. When I started my business, that was the only it could happen anyway - yep we're talking the way back machine. I've been doing this a long time.  Maybe too long? By next year we'll not even need soap anymore or something. We'll clean ourselves virtually, or by some kind of electronic steam blast unit that takes no energy or water and leaves us completely germ-free and wrinkle-free. Yes?

No comments:

Post a Comment