Monday, April 01, 2013

April Fool


Did you notice Google's April Fool's joke today?  Google Nose (in Beta).  Dubbed "smelling is believing."

The new scentsation in search

  • Coming to your senses: go beyond type, talk, and touch for a new notation of sensation.
  • Your internet sommelier: expertly curated Knowledge Graphs pair images, descriptions, and aromas.
  • Take a whiff: the Google Aromabase - 15M+ scentibytes.
  • Don't ask, don't smell: For when you're wary of your query - SafeSearch included.
    • Google NoseBETA leverages new and existing technologies to offer the sharpest olfactory experience available:
    • Street Sense vehicles have inhaled and indexed millions of atmospheric miles.
    • Android Ambient Odor Detection collects smells via the world's most sensible mobile operating system.
    • SMELLCD™ 1.8+ high-resolution compatible for precise and controlled odors.
  • Oh how I wish that was true!  Imagine how cool my website could be if only we had the equivalent of smellivision for the internet!  I could have little thumbnails of fragrance for each of the soaps.  You wouldn't have to guess what the new soaps smelled like - you could just click on it and infuse your room with the latest scent.
  • I'm not sure I'd be using the Nose search engine to find horse manure or wet dog, but it would be nice to search a certain gorgeous flowering bush that my neighbor is growing and I don't know the name of.  Some day I'm sure we'll get there - technology is always amazing me.  But for today, sigh, we don't have the scent-ernets ready just yet.
Dont' be a fool - stay safe with all your pranking today!

No comments:

Post a Comment