Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Groundhog Day

All you have to do is read the words "Groundhog Day" and it brings up the old Bill Murray movie. And with it, the notion of living the same day over and over again repeatedly, ad infinitum, ad nauseum.

It's the code name for living a totally boring life, swallowed up by a daily routine that plays itself like a broken record. As much as I'd like to imagine a life where each day is a new adventure, I'm sort of stuck in a rut. Like most everybody else. There are jobs and schedules and routines that are unavoidable. It's hard to find ways to mix it up, to break up the monotony. Like drive a different way to the same old places. Eat breakfast for dinner. Listen to a totally new radio station for an hour.

Maybe I'll do some of that today. Because today feels like all those days in December when I worked harder than I wanted to. The mailing went out and already there are orders in the inbox this morning. And I've got a big wholesale order that needs to go out today too. And I'm trying to pack up everything, old and new, for a show this week. I'll be at Group Health in my little shop space on Thursday and Friday.

I usually don't have so much going on this time of year, but I needed to get started earlier, and I had a lot of catching up to do in January. That quiet time in the winter? Didn't happen. Which isn't altogether bad. But I don't want to live in Groundhog Day either. I like the up and down tempo, busy and slow times of the year.

Punxsutawney Phil said 6 more weeks of winter this morning. Maybe by the time the official spring rolls around, I'll get a little break and head off to somewhere interesting for a short vacation. In the meantime, I'll settle for little mini variations in my day. Chicken and waffles for dinner? A trip to the beach for a quick walk?

No comments:

Post a Comment