Thursday, February 03, 2011

Sweat the Small Stuff


Details. That's what I'm trying to control this week. Getting all the little stuff right. I'm up to my eyeballs in getting the spring newsletter and accompanying email newsletter, blog post and all the website updates all done at the same time. It's due out tomorrow.

My camera broke yesterday. Well, that's not exactly true. It's never worked right since I bought it last October. It's intermittant though. It seems to work just fine whenever I'm on vacation or taking pictures of fun stuff. It always goes haywire whenever I'm taking product photos and trying to do something important under deadline. Yesterday the sun here was so bright and gorgeous that I wanted to re-do all kinds of photos, plus the new spring stuff. I got about 4 photos in, and then nothing would upload. All the files are corrupted and cannot be edited, exported or viewed. So much frustration. I thought my head would explode. I lost hours of time and still don't have even the few photos I really, really needed. I'm going to borrow a camera today and try to do the last couple under dark, cloudy skies. Who knows when we'll get great light again. And the camera is on it's way to the fixer-folks. Which I have every confidence that they won't find anything wrong with. It just hates to do close-ups of soap. Which is weird because it takes beautiful close-ups of cocktails, beautiful dinner plates and my toes in flip-flops on the sand. Who knows.

This is such a great quote: "Getting noticed in a meaningful way is less about the grand gesture and more about the small, thoughtful things we do every day. There's often a pay-it-forward beauty to going that extra inch . . .Too often in our elbows-out world, it's assumed that being considerate and being competitive are mutually exclusive. The opposite is true."

- Linda Kaplan Thaler and Robin Koval in The Power of Small: Why Little Things Make All The Difference (Broadway)

No comments:

Post a Comment