Thursday, April 24, 2008

If only


If only these dark, grey clouds would go away. Not only is it cold, windy and dreary, but we're missing the big Songbird's Nocturnal Migration. Huh? Yep, I'd never heard of it either, but Bird Note had a story about it on the radio the other morning and I've been trying to catch a glimpse of it.

In the brightness of the full moon, you may be able to witness flocks of songbirds migrating across the sky. They fly at night when there are less predators around, using the daylight hours to feed and rest. Plus, nighttime air is cooler and denser, making it easier for lift. And scientists even believe that the birds use the stars to navigate and find their way. Nature continues to amaze me. I've been wanting to see the birds at night, or catch a few chirps or warbles floating down from the sky.

Unfortunately, it's cloudy, the wind is blowing hard, and it's darn cold in the evenings. Plus the planes overhead, the normal city and traffic noise - I've missed it all.

I think I've been anxious to just get on with it. This semi-winter thing is going on too long and I need warmer weather and Spring to finally turn the corner. The political primary is going on too long. The recession, which some are saying may be as bad as the Depression of the 30's is going on too long. Gas prices, food crises, shortages, war, rationing of rice, global warming catastrophes, it's all so scary, so depressing. If only. If only things were different. If only life wasn't so hard for everyone. If only.

No comments:

Post a Comment